Putting Up Walls

I don't believe that the Christian faith has no boundaries per se... there are certain views and practices which are clearly 'out of line'. There are non-negotiables, otherwise you'd not read passages like Paul's anathema to Judaizers or John's repeated warnings against heresy etc.

But here is a joke I like which highlights how NOT to put up fences!

"I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said "Stop! Don't do it!"

"Why shouldn't I?" he said.
"Well, there's so much to live for!"
"Like what?"
"Well... are you religious?"

He said yes. I said, "Me too! Are you Christian or Buddhist?"
"Christian."

"Me too! Are you Catholic or Protestant?"
"Protestant."
"Me too! Are you Episcopalian or Baptist?"
"Baptist"
"Wow! Me too! Are you Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord?"
"Baptist Church of God!"
"Me too! Are you original Baptist Church of God, or are you reformed Baptist Church of God?"
"Reformed Baptist Church of God!"
"Me too! Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915?"
He said, "Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915!"
I said, "Die, heretic scum", and pushed him off. (Emo Philips)

Comments

Dave said…
Just in case anyone suspects the joke is on reformed baptists, let the record shows that I'm probably closer to them than my pastors! ahahaah...
lycaphim said…
ROFL!!!

In any case, no offense taken =)
Leon Jackson said…
that is so funny! Reformed Baptist is the closest to my own position.
Dave said…
The not-so-funny part of the joke is that it is an exaggeration of reality... I bump into a friend who told me some unhappy developments in Penang... Sigh... Why can't Reformed folks get along?

Maybe we lack some unifying theme like mission which allows us to overlook relatively not-so-essential issues of doctrine?