The Convergence I

Disclaimer:
Although it is politically correct to state that my views here do not represent anyone or anything other than myself, (and they don't!) I realize that whether I like it or not, I am an ambassador of Christ, and what I say and how I say it will be reflected on my Lord, church and 'ministry'.

So although there exists admittedly 'biased' multiplicity of views/attitudes, it does not follow that I'm allowed to be careless in both content and tone. I'm still learning and would appreciate correction if I erred in either.


Emergent and Agora conversations started about the same time around Sept last year. Both Alwyn and I are seen sitting together here after dim sum. (Luckily you can't see the words on my T-shirt)

Though we are not a 'youth ministry', there happens to be a sizeable number of students and younger 'evangelicals' (born post-1975?) who participate.

They probably are "the more reflective, less church-satisfied ones", representing an "anomaly among the general youth in Malaysia", as Alwyn observed.

These descriptions are helpful.

I sense this phenomenon especially in blogdom and try to link up with some. (sorry, I'm technically challenged, which explains the long messy list of links on the left)

Being reflective is a nice way of saying one thinks deeper a lot. People are starting to appreciate the life of the mind in discipleship and spiritual formation.

In Agora, we had to work hard to avoid being seen as 'intellectual', because it often also implies 'limited value - missionally speaking', 'elitist', 'resisting the Spirit', 'not enough faith' in the prevailing not-so-reflective ethos.

It can be hard and lonely being the only person asking those awkward questions. Sometimes doubt is seen as the opposite of faith, rather than 'suspended faith seeking understanding'.

We also get disillusioned when people confuse the questions as 'rebellion' or 'unbelief'. Some quick random sample:

"Why the general apathy when it comes to socio-political issues?
"Can't we do more to help the poor? Or earth-keeping?"
"Why so much 'talk' and not enough 'walk'?" (buzzword: embodiment spirituality)
"How do you know what the pastor prophesied is really from God?"
"My friends ask why Christians can be so intolerant, sometimes I think I agree"
"So many interpretations in the Bible... who is right?"
"I'm so tired of maintaining this program/formula of ministry... It worked wonders in Megachurch ABC, but seems ineffective here."
"Evangelism is not about 4-point facts. It's godly lifestyle, right?"


This 'dissatisfaction' doesn't necessarily translate into 'antagonism towards the church', though some are struggling to fit in.

The convergence in Agora and Emergent is to walk with our friends in understanding, empathy and where appropriate, providing helpful reason(s) for faith and initiating action.

None of us can monopolise buzzwords like 'missional', 'conversations' or 'friendships' since we didn't invent these concepts.

Both Agora and Emergent are cautious about the 'privatisation of religion', a child of modern Enlightenment philosophy.

Again, it's easier experienced than explained.

But earlier in my pilgrimage, I felt 'God is near' when I'm in the room, praying and reading the Bible or in the church, serving in some ministries like sunday school etc. But when I'm in class or working in office, I'm not doing anything spiritual for God... unless I use it as a platform to evangelize etc.

We are spiritually charged on Sundays, but what are we to do with the other six days?

How can we get out of our cultural ghettos and engage the world with the Lordship of Christ?

How is the Christian faith relevant where the rubber meets the road?

What happens now is a small but growing awareness among the 'rakyat' or grassroots about such concerns.

When thinking of how "Can the West be Converted?" Lesslie Newbigin put as No.1

"...the declericalizing of theology so that it may become an enterprise done not within the enclave, in that corner of the private sector which our culture labels "religion," but rather in the public sector where God's will as declared in Jesus Christ is either done or not done in the daily business of rooms of transitional corporations, the trade unions, the universities, and the schools"


Theology is no longer reserved for the seminary students or full-time workers or pastors or priests. This is not just 'apologetics' or 'philosophy'.

It's really a dimension of being missional in the marketplace or 'agora' of 'emerging' Asia.




"As long as Christians restrict their Christianity to a religion, a faith that is compartmentalized and isolated from life, they can have revival but never, ever reformation. We need to hear and do the Word of God in all of our lives," said RC Sproul

Comments

Anonymous said…
These are some excellent questions. Thanks for asking them. I always remind myself that Christianity is not about a religion, a 4-point outline, or even about doctrine. All these are a part of Christianity, but what it ultimiately boils down to is a relationship with the Lord. If the relationship could be kept in the foreground of discussions and debates, I think we'd see a much different reaction from the secular community toward our faith.
Dave said…
:) Thanks, Tim, for your comments.

I'm reminded of a youth pastor Steven Kum who had impacted my college life, and who never tire to drill in the message that the disciples were called to be 'with' Jesus, first and foremost.

Youth ministry is so strategic, as someone put it, "win the campus today, win the world tomorrow"

Looking back on my own journey thru youth groups, I sense there is a healthy focus on relationships, music, practical tips on dating, self-esteem etc. but there seems to be little attention given to train kids to think.

I'm glad that we are beginning to integrate knowledge of God with knowledge about God :)

http://www.str.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=5129
Dave said…
Thanks, bro, for the helpful reminders.

If it's any assurance, it's Convergence Part 1...

it's not the final word...

The distinctives will come later in The Divergence series ok?

Then the fun begins... :)