God Has Spoken

Just finished this little tract by Packer as part of required readings.
Here are nicely-packed quotes on the canon

.. the fact of having been guided to see which books have intrinsic authority can no more be held to give the Church authority over them, to limit their meaning to that which accords to its own tradition, than the fact of my having recognized what came in the post this morning as a genuine bookseller's bill, made out to me, gives me authority over it, to pay only so much of it as I feel inclined to.


On biblical revelation...

Some modern divines posit an antithesis between 'personal' and 'propositional' revelation, arguing that... since it is personal (God revealing Himself) it cannot be propositional (God talking about himself). But this is absurd...

To deny that revelation is propositional in order to emphasize its personal character is like trying to safeguard the truth that cricket is played with a bat by denying that it is played with a ball. The denial undercuts the assertion.

To say that revelation is non-propositional is actually to depersonalize it.

Comments

happiwife said…
Just spent SGD99 on textbooks today and more to come!!! I'm broke. Please get married faster faster and give me ang pao!!!

Gong Xi Gong Xi!

By the way, this book is in my "optional" reading list... will loan it from the library somewhere and read it, probably after my course ends (only then will I have time I think, sigh).

Anyway, thanks for always sharing information and resources freely, Mr. Monitor for Cyberspace Theology Class.
Dave said…
I usually give a book to 'online' frens when we actually 'meet' fact to face, and can't remember I gave u anything hehehe...

So no ang pow.. but a book, can?