Out Of The Blue

Watched a baseball game at Minneapolis Twins' territory. The hot dog and nachos were more exciting than the one sided match. Sorry to turn this into a diary, hehe... Almost caught a T shirt fired in by the mascot

Bethlehem Baptist journal: Today David Livingston preached on the "Fullness of the Joy of Christ" from Philippians 4:1-9. The 'cultural' song was frm Myanmar - "Aw Le Le" (Glory to God) from the Kachin Tribe. (Bro. Vulthang was from chin tribe)

Get to meet an Ecuadorian bro.. and Spencer/Christine, who lead the All Nations group. Wai Meng and parents invited me over for a sumptuous lunch of spaghetti, friend chicken, sambal vege, sausage and cherries... yummie! The warm fellowship and after-meal conversations made me feel at home here, and also miss home. Eye opening to see how psychiatry works hand in hand with Christian counselling, not its competitor. Interesting how depression could be treated with medication and faith.. I didn't people long time ago used to drill holes in the heads of people who face depression so tat the 'demons' can come out!

Walked around Lake Calhoun, watched firework display at the Aquatenial festival, read four chapters from Erickson's Systematic Theology... Bought a book on yoga, Islam (Karen Armstrong) and Critique of pure reason (Kant). Quite a productive weekend!

But saddened also when a friend I knew from a Graduate Camp many, many years ago suddenly (inexplicably) accused some mutual acquaintances of wildly implausible slander, spying on his privacy daily, and an elaborate conspiracy to destroy his life etc. It sounds like something out of X file. I'm not sure if they have the energy and time to run a 24 hour surveillance on his behaviors!

Although I was not on the hit-list, it was decided that I was guilty by association... and further conversation blocked by a litany of colorful, foul language... He's seething with anger, at people and at God.

Why dun people meet face to face to talks things over any more? Or if that fails, get other reliable and mature folks along? Or the church leadership?

There's nothing else I could have done. Feel Helpless. A sense of disappointment that our friendship was not even given a chance.

For no apparent reason, I've lost a friend. Sigh. Again.

Comments

jedibaba said…
No need to apologise for your blog becoming "diary-like" especially in your sojourn in "Bethlehem." I believe the Lord also works in the mundane particulars of our daily life.
Sorry to hear about your friend. Sigh. So many wounds this side of heaven. Come Lord Jesus.
Anonymous said…
I don't know your friend and doubt that I will, but here's some thoughts:

Some people don't meet face to face because maybe one party has been hurt too much and the thought of meeting up is unbearable?

Secondly, maybe he needs to be away and alone for now especially away from those those whom he perceived have been trying to "destroy his life". Perhaps the mere thought of mutual friends are reason enough to remind him of his hurt? So that's why he's staying away from you as well?

That will rule out getting reliable and mature folks along.

Now about getting the church leadership involved, this would necessitate that both parties belong to the same fellowship.

Whatever it is, don't worry about your "failure" to do something meaningful. Keep on praying for him.
Dave said…
thanks, friends, for ur comforting words.

We used to have the same church leadership so that applies. Even if not, seeking out someone trustworthy (cross denominational) who can act as a reconciler works too... i know some ppl like tat too

The hypothetical scenario is helpful... maybe the mere thought of mutual friends is reason enough to remind him of his hurt..

and it sure helps if he comes out in the open and frankly say so... "I need time, bro"

As it is the game of hide and seek seems counterproductive :(
greyhoundbus said…
Sorry to hear about your friend. Does he really think people can destroy his life? It's a struggle for me to remember this, but people can neither give me true peace nor wound my foundations.

"Man may trouble and distress me,
’Twill but drive me to Thy breast.
Life with trials hard may press me;
Heaven will bring me sweeter rest.
Oh, ’tis not in grief to harm me
While Thy love is left to me;
Oh, ’twere not in joy to charm me,
Were that joy unmixed with Thee."

He's really hurting if he doesn't remember that =(. Maybe you could send him a word of encouragement/inquiry? It may be what he's looking for.
Dave said…
The odd thing is he shut me out from talking about the real problem and now keep raising 'wild goose chase' apologetic questions instead! hehehe...

Really weird. The theological questions sound like a smokescreen for unresolved emotional issues