Watchman Nee

Greetings from Minneapolis! I'm still adjusting to the time difference, it's 3.30 am now and I'm wide awake... After lunch time today, my eyes are so heavy I could have dropped asleep on my cubicle.

The flight was long and tiring; (It went from KLIA to Korea, then cross america to Atlanta, and go back up to Minneapolis) but I managed to catch two movies - Aquamarine and 16 Blocks and bits of Shaggy Dog hehehe. Due to weather conditions, we were late to korea and within minutes of missing the next flight... thankfully, the airport staffs scooted us around on a cart so I got a quick window shopping view of Incheon.

Contacted the folks at Bethlehem Baptist and would try to make my way there for the 9 am service. Hopefully I can borrow some books from the library to do a Theology II assignment on Calvinism/Arminianism. (ya! I know I have beaten this topic to death in the past but seems like a good time to consolidate my thots on paper, and being away from BatCave and 2-month timeframe, I'd better do a more straightforward topic)

Also, reading up on OT historical books of Joshua/2 Kings... tracing its implication on a theology of war and present implications in a volatile world. I'm not sure if a full blown theology of war can be developed from just these books, but will see how it goes... Von Rad and Wellhausen's take on the topic seem promising so far!

Oops! For some reason I posted the Watchman Nee's photo here and I should be talking more about him. He is the first Favorite author I ever had. During teenage pentecostal days, I developed a love for the scriptures thru his allegorical teachings. Stuffs in the Pasir Pinji Methodist church library like "Sit Walk Stand", "Spiritual man", "Normal Christian Life"... My heart is strangely warmed when I read them. Though now I wud interpret scripture more literally, I still have much admiration and lingering influences from Nee.

Together with John Sung the evangelist and Wang Ming Tao the pastor, Nee the bible teacher has impacted the Church in China at a critical juncture of history. In many ways, these martyrs' sacrifice made possible the survival and the thriving of the faith through a difficult period of intense persecution.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have an unauthorised biography of John Sung which I bought 2 years ago. It is amazing reading about his passion for the chinese people in Asia. I must say he is one of my fave evangelist. Hey, do blog your Calvanism vs Arminianism assignment :P Would love to know more in-depth on this topic. Have fun there in Minneapolis,eh!
Benjamin Ho said…
hmm, I have heard Stephen Tong mention his name several occasions...apparently, his theology has several loopholes. Btw, how long will you be in the U.S.?
Anonymous said…
have a good trip, bro...:)
Dave said…
Will be back by 31 August! (Independence Day)

Ya, reformed folks like Sproul, ST and Dr Ken Ang often highlight his view of a three-part man - spirit, soul and body. Instead of two part - spirit/soul and body.

I dun think Watchman Nee originated the idea, he probably learnt it from people long, long ago... and frankly, a LOT of other people teach and believe it in the past and present.

Although I dun hold a 'trichotomic' view of man as well, I'm puzzled why Nee has been singled out for it. Maybe he did popularise it thru works like Spiritual Man
happiwife said…
dave, are you going to share the summary of your thesis work here? i am really keen to know more... and i want to know your views leh...
Dave said…
:) Sure thing! Stay tuned... I have the habit of posting my assignment here in hope that it wud stimulate some dialogue and be corrected as well.

If it helps someone along the way, that's an added bonus. take care!