The Hired Gun

Ben was a first-time guest in our church. Wanting to show our 'warm hospitality' I picked up the courage to get him a cup of Milo and tried desperately to strike an interesting conversation.

I tried to coax some 'conversation' out of him by asking about his hometown, his father, mother, and grandparents... but all I got was "one liners" like...

um-hum....
Nah...
Errr.....
Oh.

It has probably been well-documented in National Geographics somewhere, but it seems that when you get a bunch of IT nerds in a small group, it's a sure-fire way to kill social dynamics.

That is, until I accidentally mention something about cars...

And he can't stop talking.
This fella knows how to take 'em apart and reassemble them without breaking a sweat. He can give you performance reviews of practically any automobile in the market.

He taught me something.
That you can't shut people up when it comes to a topic they know a lot and feel passionately about.

Which reminds me of how I felt extremely hard to open my mouth to share the gospel with others because I was scared that people may ask me a tough question I can't adeqately answer.

I dunno what to say. It doesn't look good on me or the gospel...

But confidence grows when I start to pick up some books like Josh McDowell's "Answers to Tough Questions" and RC Sproul's "Reasons to Believe".

When you know your stuffs, you become bolder to stand in the line of fire. It's true whether it's doing a sales presentation, classroom training or sharing the gospel.

Slowly, I began to do 'anonymous' apologetics in the safety of the Net. Learn how to spar with different ideas. Lately, some doors have opened up to do what I call "mamak chats" about God, faith and ethics.

So, rather than giving out guilt trips, the best way to encourage our people to speak up is to equip them with some practical know-how to handle common obstacles to faith.

Do you know a friend or relative who wrestles with tough questions? Is the prospect of being stumped a huge Goliath that stops you from speaking up?

Sometimes, it's not a sign that he's a 'hardened heart'. He may possess an inquisitive mind.
Hint: I used to terrorise my Christians friends who tried to flip out the 4 spiritual laws

You can get help from the waves of popular, apologetic books in MPH or Evangel or SUFES.

Or perhaps, you can get a 'hired gun'?

This is how it works... My 'clients' usually would introduce me to their dear ones through email or better, a meal. I'd sorta eavesdrop on their chat about some topics, pick up where they are coming from, and generously share my 2 cents.

Hopefully a conversation-and-friendship develops from there.

And the best thing is, for now, I'm doing a promotion to build up "reference sites" so my services are absolutely free of charge!

What are you waiting for? Pick up the phone and call now at hedonese@yahoo.com

Comments

Anonymous said…
Cool idea! Anyway, it's a good reminder for me to build up on my foundation.

Jotay
Anonymous said…
your comments above leaves a bad taste for those who work in the IT line. first you generalised people who work in the IT line as "nerds" and that they kill social dynamics when it comes to a group setting.
it's akin to calling blondes "stupid" and that they have bad conversation and relational skills.
and adding some sarcasm to it, you mentioned that it has probably been well documented in Nat Geo.
personally, i dont know how you feel about people in IT and their social skills.i have come across some IT people who are more withdrawn when it comes to socializing. however in my experience, there is only
a small percentage of people who are like this.
most people i come across everyday are normal just like you and me.
Dave said…
Just for the record, I AM in the IT industry for the last 6 years so... if all IT folks are nerds, so am I!

Julie, it has been my privilege and pleasure!