Worship Wars

I yearn and long for the day when both charismatic Christians and non-charismatic Christians understand each other better and join hands closer for the cause of the gospel! This is because my spiritual journey started with a charismatic church before I learnt why other brothers and sisters do not share my beliefs. (I still retain many of those beliefs)

I'm “charismatic” if the terms is used widely to mean “someone who believes spiritual gifts ie tongues, prophecy etc are for today's churches”. Of course, there are some folks who dislike the label,and prefer to call themselves “open but cautious”instead!

In any case, it may have started at the AzusaStreet Revival at the beginning of last century, where some Christians teach that there is a second experience called the baptism of the Holy Spirit and accompanied by the gift of speaking in tongues. Although persecuted by other Christians, their new denomination (Assemblies of God, Pentecostals) grew tremendously. In the 1960’s, however, a common experience of renewed exuberance of worship, emphasis on spiritual gifts and the Holy Spirit spread way beyond the confines of any denomination. And people call it the “charismatic movement” because it is less dogmatic about any doctrine. In Catholic circles, it’s sometimes called “the Renewal”. So there’s much talk about unity based on this common experience… “Well, if he’s also speaking in tongues like me, then the HolySpirit must be working in him too!” So, a charismaticis a very wide label that includes lots of people –Baptists, Methodists, and even the occasional Brethren!

There is nothing wrong with enjoying worship! In fact, I’d argue that grudging worship is not pleasing to God. God loves a cheerful worshipper because pleasure is the measure of our Treasure. That’s another way of saying, “Where the heart is,there your treasure will be also”.

Sometimes, I caught myself having a great just singing worship songs because they sound great, the worship leader was superb, they bring back fond memories, etc. and unconsciously, I’m enjoying a worship concert, not the God of the worship. And it is a subtle danger, yah? And the Spirit indicted me, “They honour me with theirlips but their hearts are far away from me.” The acid test for "concert-like" and “funeral-like” worship is the same: Does it allow the worshipper’s mind to feed on the truth of God? And does it allow theworshipper’s heart to express an appropriate response to Him? If it does, it should be fine.

But if it puts man at the centre of attention and God at the sidelines, then it’s probably not a Christian practice. When some Christians talk about “overdoing worship”,they probably have in mind that God is a glorious God who must be approached reverently as we would approach an earthly king. So, having a band on stage appears too informal or too much like a pub for their liking.

Intimate worship is not limited to singing Hillsong choruses. It can happen with quieter hymns, which are rich inbiblical truth rather than repeating “I could sing of your love forever” a dozen times.

For example, consider
“Were the whole realm of nature mine,
that would be an offering far too small!
Love so amazing, so divine,demands my heart, my life, my all!”

So, in this setting, they probably have a piano or organ to play along. That’s “simply worship”.

Comments