Barking Up the Pews

Once upon a time, some friends tried to set me up with a lady. As we chatted over dinner, I discovered she had given up on church because of the dehumanising 'manifestations' she saw at Kensington Temple.

The church made an announcement to warn visitors not to be alarmed by what they are gonna see. Then they proceed to speak in unknown languages, fall into trance-like dance, slither like snakes, bark like dogs, roar like lions etc.

She freaked out!

(Here's my answer to frens who claim they can speak in tongus aloud as a group without any interpretation, as long as they make some clarification)

Then she told me that the church has been hiding stuffs from people, and excluded books that should belong in the Bible.

I've heard similar conspiracy theories before but probed deeper to see which 'lost book' she has in mind. She mentioned the Dead Sea Scrolls... ('Da Vinci Code', no doubt!)

What can I say? The worst thing I can do is to be flabbergasted and defensive. ("See, you Christians have been taken in!")

Calmly, I reminded her that the novel has excellent suspense and story, but it's hardly a reliable source of history.

"But the Catholic church is so powerful, there must be cover-up!"

I dun like to brag, but in this case, I smiled and proceeded to 'show off' the little I know abt the nature of Dead Sea Scrolls. Talked at length about who the Essences are, their beliefs, relation to Christianity etc.

The strategy is not to answer her question directly, but just to indirectly say, "Hey girl, you have no idea what you are talking abt. Look who's being deceived and who's 'in the know' now?"

Needless to say, there goes my 'date'!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Isn't it amazing how ppl can swallow all this? why cant they have the same amt of faith in the word of god?
Anonymous said…
Eh?? why still got arranged dates wan meh?