Big Fish

Some colleagues of mine seem very perplexed, and occasionally approached me to ask, "Why don't you 'go after' Ms X? She's compatible mar... quite pretty also...?"

OK, you got it right... This is a tale about the one that got away.

We were close friends. Healthy office flirting is a great tonic for Monday blues, ok? Maybe that's why I'm so demotivated now! heheh...

Once I fought the entire company on her behalf, (and won!) because I felt it was for a right cause. Though she can't beat Vivian Chow (haha!) she's someone u'd be proud to have in the kitchen AND living room lar...

Best of all, she's someone who endured hardship and didn't get bitter... faithfully serving her family ie getting up at 5am daily.

What more can u ask for, right?
Got her wedding card some time back. And wonder what should I say?

"It is but a shadow that you loved. I cannot give you what you seek??" (Aragorn)

Just kidding... perasan onli...

Anyway my standard answer to my curious colleagues is:
"Haisho... regret... regret..."
"She's seeing someone else now lar..." (self-deprecating)
"I may be seeing someone else too... (to save face)"

But the truth is, it's for the dream that I may someday meet someone who stands up at an interfaith dialogue, defending biblical inerrancy and then... our eyes meet... and the fireworks go off!

(OK, that's how Francis and Edith Schaeffer met)

Or, the fantasy that I'm researching on the chiastic structure of John's Gospel in library and this pretty young thing walked by and asked if I still need that tome by DA Carson?

OK-lar, just exaggerating a bit here... intellectualism is not a criteria.

Anyway, one has got to analyse one's own 'assets', ehem... before making too much demands, rite? Haha!

You can't let go of too many chances like that... they dun come by very often, if they come at all.

But I guesss, it's not asking too much to have someone who shares some fundamental convictions with you deeply. So I won't look back and have regrets later.

At the wedding, I'd probably smile and like a true Hedonese, say to her,
"X, I'm so happy for you!"

Comments