Memory Lane

Have been walking down memory lane lately... ol' favorite cartoons, ol' flame, tracing my hijrah... maybe some of you may have noted the nostalgic slant, heheh

Maybe it's quarter life crisis!

When you are hanging on to the last few months of your twenties, and finally

Realise that you are not gonna earn your first million anytime soon...
and you're not gonna marry Vivian Chow after all...
and you're not write that book that will shake the planet or...
launch that movement that will sail a thousand ambassadors across Kinta Valley...

Yup, life can be hard...

My Dad seems to love the evergreens... or golden oldies very much. He says, there's a reason - they remind him of his youth.

So, hearing George Michael's Faith reminds me of testerone-raging teenage years...
Mariah Carey over the radio reminds me of riding Intrakota to college...
The Corrs' "So Young" reminds me of my days in Singapore as glorified, cheap labor..

When you get a certain age, everything reminds you of something else.

Depressing isn't it? Actually people thot I look 27, and still young at heart hahaha... For some people the aging process is slower, ehem...

I guess all these introspective, navel-gazing has something to do with wanting to maximise time so that I can say "I did this before 30" later. After that, the 'dispensation of grace' is over.

Comments

Anonymous said…
hey fren, why so sad wan? I oso have been thinking much abt growing up/old lately (lol)
Anonymous said…
Yeah..ur dad is rite :) I even listened to music of 50s & 60s..yunno the era of exciting, revolutionary, turbulent time of great social and technological change: assassination, unforgettable fashion, new musical styles, Camelot, civil rights, women's liberation, a controversial war in Vietnam, the first manned landing on the moon, peace marches, flower power, great TV and film!!!
Being 27 going to be 28, I felt old oredi - my personal CV shld spelt "married" - where most of my frens oredi into marriage (thou one into divorce, sadly). Last few weekends, been attending several wedding dinners...and the most common question directed to me was (guess lar): "Bila u mau kahwin??" Mmm...few more wedding dinners needed to attend..aiyoorrr..aiyoorrr.. :> Geez, better tune to some good oldies music now...

HJ
Dave said…
Wah! Still young what?? OK lar, if we dun get married by 35, we'd marry each other lar... hahah!
Anonymous said…
Hahaha! There are so many posts in this blog, I dont know where to start reading. Came across this one and thought it is funny.

God will provide,friend. Just keep your fingers crossed.


Christine
kherxin@myway.com
Anonymous said…
Hi brother!

Oh yes.. I was listening to the song 'Yesterday Once More' or what I normally call 'Shingelinggeling song'. this song is so 'anointed' la.. to move
heart and soul in such nostalgic power. wonder if it's
'black massed' hahahhaha, remember last time our
teenage times that used to be a hot topic amongst
christian teens!!!!!

yea, i understand what dad means abt listening to old
songs and you just so soaked into the memories. like
having your own little world. how we're grown. how
more complex our life has been.

stil remember last time me and you used to perform on
'stage' , which is our last room in wing onn garden (our first residence - lived there since babehood till 12 years old),
the one with the plank wood . mom was the audience. our
popular song was 'sin sin soh' - mandarin old song, i think in the 60s -70s.. very complicated song, dad trained us to sing with 'hanyu ping ying' and listening to the cassette.. hahaha.. so silly right!

hahaha yes, we did have a good happy childhood. thanks
to mom and dad, and for you (except for the stunt
experiments i'd to put up with, only to be rewarded by
plain water, for enduring suffering due to your failed stunts)!!

then i remember last time, my routine is mom fetch me
frm main convent, we'll walk to our favourite chicken
rice stall to tah pow. i'll then bathe and take nap.
then, go for tuition or so my home work while seeing
some pregnant ladies walking about or waiting for
labour (our mom is a midwife). dad will faithfully fetch me to tuition or frm
tuition.

when younger, we even tried to escape granny's sharp
eyes by trying always to beat the system. climbing the
gates to go to swee fatt, the tuck shop in the neighbourhood, with the latest junk food and free stickers/toys in the packets! and make sure we're safely
back without giving way to any suspicion!

shingelingeling.. every oh..oh.. still shine..

Oh yea, i've also been downloading witney houston's old time favourites; and Belinda Carlisle -super!

Evergreen,
Sis