Reformed Charismatic

Friends, I want you to meet Jonathan Koh, a bright, handsome young Singaporean I knew from the Reformed-charismatic@yahoogroups.com

Then we met up at Dhobby Ghaut MRT station, and he brought me to visit his personal library, make a trip to Trinity Seminary and SKS bookstore, a heaven for followers of P&R, Crossway, 'banner of truth' books. Attended a Messianic worship concert by Paul Wilbur... "Up to zion"?

We share a lot in common, and we fall on different sides too. But who says friends must agree all the time? Well, I'd let him introduce himself here:

"What changed my mind abt being a prof in theology? My desire to be a bible college lecturer was when I had a heart to bring together the Reformed/more conservative and charismatic worldviews. I saw that great divide there.

For example, Love Singapore movement is a great movement and a show of unity but it's only uniting the charismatic side and I think this division is quite sad.

Through my experience and study of both sides, I felt that both sides could learn from each other. So people like Grudem, Piper, Wimber and lesser known Tom Smail - they were my theological heros who saw the good of both sides. I wanted to do something in that direction in Singapore. But a few years back I guess the social interest became too overwhelming for me. As I got to know of the world better and the social inequalities and poverty and people dying everywhere for a reason that they shouldn't, I realized that as a Christian, this is something I wanted to devote myself to - that is, to help the poor...

So maybe I may teach part time in future in Bible College in this area? But I've kind of lost interest in all that stuff because even though I love theological discussion and debate, I think it's all too theoretical sometimes and far beyond the minds of ordinary Christians - and these are Christians I want to reach out to and
be with.

So I do love theology and I still read a lot! I try to approach everything I want to do in life from a Christian and theological point of view - doing my theological research to know indeed what God's will is in particular areas. But I am also a person who loves to be with young people and with people in general. I have my group of friends - especially on the Net - with which I discuss theology with a lot. But I want to minister to the young in future and with them you can't get too abstract. However, the great challenge is to bring theology down to their level - the leve of ordinary Christians. Most Christians and in fact most people in general nowadays in this entertainment age do not use their minds so much and so one really has to bring it down to their level yet without dumbing it down. I see that as a great challenge.

Reformed Charismatic?
http://home.pacific.net.sg/~jonathankoh

Comments

Bob K said…
Thanks for the introduction to Jonathan Koh. A lot of us lay Christians really fail to appreciate how relevant theology can be in our day to day walk with the Lord. It's great that someone has the burden to share this to the greater public.

Wayne Grudem is one theologian who's views I can truly identify with, even if I am not coming from a reformed perspective. Come to think of it, what label would fit me? An Arminian Charismatic? Wesleyan Charismatic? Hehe
Dave said…
Hi Bob,

Good to have you here! Do drop by when ur free...

Ok I hate to break it to you, but from my diagnosis... Wayne Grudem happens to be a reformed guy who served in a Vineyard church for some time... good fren of John Wimber, known for 'power evangelism' thingy. His section on 'prophecy' and 'gifts' made other Calvinists squirm, heheh...

So welcome to the club, bro!
Bob K said…
Hmm .. so it is possible that I have less to squirm about since I am more influenced by dispensationalist and Wesleyan perspectives? I do hear you on the Vineyard association (feel a little squirm coming on).
Dave said…
Heheh.... OK, that's more 'rojak' that i can take... but George Whitefield and Martyn Lloyd Jones are kinda "Reformed Methodist", so maybe there's a recipe for ya. John McArthur is a 4-point 'Calvinist dispensationalist'... phew, so maybe it's not so strange after all hahah!