Steak at Cherokee

If time allows, I'd grab a quick bite before evening classes on Tuesdays. One of the eating places around MBS, if u'd rather not have mamak or Chinese, is a lil' Western restaurant called "Cherokee Steak House".

The first time I stepped into the place, intriguing slogans that decorated the walls caught my eyes. So I walked around the place, reading stuffs like:

"Believing is Seeing, motto for the fools
Seeing is Believing, motto for the wise"

"Better to have hands stained in service to others than eyes closed and hands clasped in prayer."

"Emulate Jesus - why worship Him?"

"When everyone shares an illusion, it becomes reality"

"A Jambu a day keeps the doctor away"

The owner seems to be an interesting character so I strike up a chat right way! That's how I met Mr Jambunathan, elderly CEO of this non-profit Cherokee organisation that provides counselling to people.

It was stimulating, really, to hear him recommending books by Barbara Thiering on the 'historical Jesus', Raelian cults, and Seth Sayings (supposedly an alien, who was human in a previous life, spoke thru a woman's channelling)

He was big shot in a local seminary, and mainline denomination. A liberal theologian of the old type in Malaysia. That means he doesn't believe Jesus is divine, or anyone can be forgiven through the cross. To him, God is an impersonal Force. But he has a big heart for social action, helping people etc.

No wonder, he was given the left kick of fellowship eventually. The boundaries of orthodoxy are not boundless.

I don't hope to be able to change this old man's beliefs now. But what I do hope to do is to listen and learn from someone who has a whole different outlook on life.

Confucius once said, "Among three persons there is one who is my teacher". Actually, every person can be my teacher in at least one area.

So I'm hoping to exchange NT Wright books with him on historical Jesus, and maybe meet up with his monk friends and get some interfaith dialogue started. Next month he plans on bringing me to a Raelian meeting in KL... yea, the one which claims to have the first human clone!

Comments

Anonymous said…
wah, mr. jambu is an interesting character, where is this rest. anyway?
Dave said…
It's near Malaysia Bible Seminari, a few doors away from the huge Chinese restaurant at the corner... oppostie the Mamak, facing the gas stations across the streets?? heheh... hope that helps
Anonymous said…
I met Mr Jambu too...back in Klang. What happen then? Do you still keep in contact with him?