Illusions of Grandeur

One of the most gratifying things I’ve ever done was taking a day off work to participate in a little apologetics forum in University Malaya last year. Dr Living Lee and Ps Caleb Soon were the other panelists.

It’s not as “canggih” as Harvard’s Veritas Forum but it sure prolonged my illusion of grandeur to follow Ravi Zacharias’ footsteps! (Dream on… haha!)

How did I get in? Well, it was a case of nepotism since my nephew was in the committee, see?

Anyway, I always had a phobia for public speaking… and not very quick thinking on my feet… so was full of nerves that day.

A traumatic experience in secondary school debate came back to haunt me… it was unforgettably embarrassing because my hands shook violently while holding the microphone.

We were soundly beaten by Main Convent girls some more. “Malu-fying!”

But in the end, the apologetics forum went rather well… I think… managed to crack some jokes and people laughed. Phew!

Most of the questions are the ones a Christian would ask so it’s basically students wanting to know their faith better. You may find some of the Q&A in the archives of Cognizance@yahoogroups.com

Got to meet some potential planet shakers too…

Just standing there, interacting with curious students who ask good questions… I feel God’s pleasure, man. The other panelists said some encouraging words, like a pat in the back.

Perhaps, some of those childhood demons are being exorcised.

Hmmm… if you like the juice in The Confessions and know any FES workers, do you mind pulling some strings for me? Heheh… will work for food…

Comments

Anonymous said…
BTW, u cud be an answer 2 ur own prayer, bro. Some folks think highly of you as a future apologist in Malaysia. Am praying for the divine burden to be issued 2u.

God bless!
Dave said…
Truth is, I dun think I'm cut out to be 'william lane craig' type of debater... heheh, wat i hope to do is to motivate pockets of resistance fighters among the younger generation, from whose ranks I hope wud be one or two future Augustine from Asia... My role is probably that of an Ambrose, God willing.
Anonymous said…
At least one of the HELP Four is getting somewhere ;)