Courage & Calling

Something gleaned from "Courage and Calling" by Gordon Smith, has been running in my head...

God has wired us differently and called us to different ministries, and this calling may be discovered by asking ourselves these questions:

1. What are my gifts and abilities?
2. What is the deepest desires in my heart?
3. Where do I personally sense the needs of the world and feel the brokenness in God's creation?
4. What is my unique temperament or personality?

(We may add what does the community says abt our gifts?)

Most of us see the world's needs differently and that is OK... bcos God has planted the burdens in us differently in accordance to what He's calling us to do.

While all of us should evangelise, not everybody is an evangelist who sees the world *mainly in terms of* being spiritually lost and in need of the gospel.

While all of us should help the poor, not everybody is an philantrophist who sees the world *mainly in terms of* being physically suffering and in need of aid.

While all of us should be immersed in God's word, not everybody should be like a teacher-type of person like me who sees the world *mainly in terms of* being fundamentally in need of a biblical worldview?

(Everyone has an objective duty to do all of the above, but not all of us see the needs of the world *mainly in terms of* the same thing)

I think, freedom comes when we recognise this... then we do not compare ourselves with others and feel inferior, or insist that others see the world just as we see it.

This is not to say that we have nothing to learn from each other, but with humility and thankfulness, recognise that God has different callings for different parts of the Body of Christ.

Comments

Anonymous said…
but i'm glad to read what you wrote, thanks for sharing how everyone has different calling and that we should not necessarily compare and feel inferior... it was a timely affirmation, because honestly, that's been on my mind for months recently now (even talked to my mom about it). I won't go through the details of my circumstance but it's related to what my friend said about getting into politics, and there were times when he has made me feel "guilty"...... but after reading what you wrote, i do see things more clearly. I've felt before that i'm not "compassionate" enough, or if i'm a real Christian then wouldn't i have the same passion as he does... and at times it's almost like the impression he gives is he's on a different spiritual level, wanting to suffer for others, etc.... while (me)--she's more the teacher-type who sees the world in need of biblical worldview--isn't doing as much as he is, or that his dream somehow is "bigger" than mine.

But anyways, it's a bit of a relief now b/c i honestly don't feel called or passionate about what my friend has pressured upon me, and i'm glad that i could feel the freedom to pursue things that i believe God has placed/burdened in my heart. Yes, what you said was right...the word "freedom" is the right word..."freedom comes when we recognise this".