Stop The Tanks!

The Tank Stopper Posted by Hello


Cruelty is the ID pass of the cruel,
honesty the grave stone of the honest.
Look, in the sky plated gold,
crooked reflections of all the dead float around.

The glacial epoch is over,
so why is there ice everywhere?
Good Hope was rounded a long time ago,
so where are these thousands of boats racing on the Dead Sea?

I came into this world
with only blank pages, rope and my fingers;
therefore, before final judgements are given,
I need to speak in all the voices of the defendants.

Just let me say, world,
I--don't--believe!
If a thousand challengers are under your feet
count me as challenger one-thousand-and-one.

I don't believe the sky is always blue;
I don't believe it was thunder echoing;
I don't believe all dreaming is false;
I don't believe the dead cannot bring judgement.

If the sea is doomed someday to break its levees
my heart must flood with all the bitter waters.
If the land is destined to form the hills again,
let real human beings learn to choose the higher ground.

The latest, favorable turnings, the twinkling stars
studding the naked sky,
are pictographs five-thousand years old.
They are the eyes of the future staring at us now.

translated by Gordon T. Osing and De-An Wu Swihart

Dave: I remember watching TV, rooting for the students at Tianenmen Square... till the tearful crackdown on June 4th.

We must remember. To forget is the final victory of the oppressors. This poem was written by Bei Dao... the students at Tiananmen Square chanted it by heart. Let me propose a toast to the past! (Orwell)

In memory of Former Chinese Communist Party chief Zhao Ziyang, arrested for the 'serious mistake' of negotiating with the students, who has died at the age of 85.

Comments

Steven Sim said…
I am always intrigued by Malaysians who elevate China to a super-duper-goody-two-shoe status, pushing her as an "alternative" to bad boy America. We conveniently forget that our chinese comrades;

1. are communists, living a capitalists reality.
2. have not make any restitution for Tiananmen; "it's a bug in the programme", was a Chinese fren's comment on the massacre
3. are still presecuting the church (and falun gong...*wink*)
4. dan sebagainya...

You think they are gonna be the force warring against the anti-christ? Think again..hehehe
Dave said…
I've heard conspiracy theories in Chick booklets speculating that China's PLA will be fighting FOR the antiChrist at the valley of Megiddo!?? ahhaah...

It's all rubbish ler...

Chinese intellectuals are searching for viable framework that would guide nation-building in the future. They are what Samuel Ling calls "the most strategic mission-field"...

Although the house churches excel at evangelism, they have yet to be able to engage the elite. Will the awakened giant encounter the culture-changing power of the gospel again?

We must not fail them again...
Steven Sim said…
Chinese intellectuals...hmmm...sounds to me like those dissidents living far away in Europe or in some chinese prisons.

I await coz i do believe in the intellects of my brethrens.
Dave said…
Many of them are studying abroad and wonder how the 'Judaeo-Christian' tradition could help? Am browsing a book on Chinese intellectuals, apparently there's a journal called "Du Shu" (baca buku) where ideas of Rahner, Hans Kung, Tillich are discuseed...