The Eye of God?

The picture below has been called "Eye of God", probably an artist's work.


We live in a time when the idea that there is Intelligent Design behind the origin of the universe is making a huge comeback.

The irony is, non-Christian scientists discovered "the antrophic principle":

Fundamental factors like the speed of light, the gravitational constant, the strength of the weak and strong nuclear forces must be highly finetuned, having values that fall within an extremely narrow range for life to be possible.

So *probably* there is an Intelligent Designer who designed the universe.

Now, one famous rejoinder offered by atheists - It's *possible* that...
"There is an infinite possible worlds out there, and the world we find ourselves in is simply one among countless others that have existed throughout all eternity which possess the conditions for life as we know it."

(If you watched Jet Li's "The One", you'd get a cheap version of this multiverse thingy...)

OK, so the conclusion does not necessarily follow from the evidence by resistless logic. But Intelligent Design is a probabilistic argument, anyway! (not deductive)

Our atheist friend's response is weak... as Alvin Plantinga's funny analogy puts it:

Imagine if we play poker and for ten consecutive games, I get four aces and a wild card! So you get a bit suspicious, and complain that I might be cheating...

What would you think if I replied,

"Relek-la, brade... i know it's hard to believe but have you considered this possibility? There is an infinite succession of universes; we just happen to find ourselves in one universe where someone like me always gets aces and wild cards without ever cheating. So stop complaining and sit down here and play, stupid. "

Comments

Anonymous said…
http://reformedperspectives.org/search.asp/keyword/PTapol/category/pt/site/
jedibaba said…
The design of the universe is phenomena that cannot be denied by any honest observer. Yet at most the design of the universe points us towards a designer.
But what is the designer like? What is his/her character? What does he/she want from me?
We need to ask if this designer has made an appearnce on the stage of human history. He has in the person of Jesus.
And we find out that the Designer is also the patiently waiting Father.
Dave said…
Lyrics from "Heaven"

I don't need no one to tell me about heaven

I look at my daughter, and I believe.

I don't need no proof when it comes to God and truth

I can see the sunset and I perceive