Tribute to Josh McDowell




When I accepted Christ at the age of 15, there was a huge struggle to come to terms with what I've believed. Honestly, I didn't do any thorough 'comparative religion' exercise before I made the decision.

Dunno much about theology...

I only know that I have sinned, deserving judgment...
Now, here is grace and forgiveness offered by Christ, who died for my sins...
A 20th century, Chinese boy finding the old-time gospel every whit as relevant...
Luther's question, "Where can I find a merciful God?" was also mine...

So Anselm's motto "I believe in order that I may understand" seems true to me.

Having believed, i search for understanding...
- What about other religions?
- What about my ancestors?
- How do I know this is true?

Uncomfortable questions are not particularly welcomed in church though.

In those early days, the book which has helped me most was Josh McDowell's "Answers For Tough Questions", a series of short Q&A articles. He was a speaker for Campus Crusade, and a popular apologist. In those days, we dun have such an array of scholars like the ones found in The Case For Christ/Faith/Creator.

McDowell inspired and paved the way for some of the younger folks. He definitely gave me an early direction in the journey of faith.

Comments

Sivin Kit said…
I remember "Answers For Tough Questions", it was one book I devoured to give me some footing in the early years of Christian journey too ...

I appreciate the steps he opened up for me as a young Christian. But of course, while appreciating his input ... I find myself branching out with a more multi-faceted approach.
Dave said…
yea, man... It's fortunate for us to have some footing before branching out! :D
jedibaba said…
Evangelicals have an enormous debt to folks like McDowell. He showed that biblical truth was logical and reasonable.
But as Sivin hinted, a more post modern atmosphere may require a more subtle apologetic approach than just insisting on the rational logic of Christianity.
People may first need to taste the fruit of truth eg love, and true community, before they listen to the root.
Sivin Kit said…
ah ... JediBaba reads my mind :-)and puts it more eloquently then I could have done ...
Dave said…
Yea, proclamation and demonstration needs to go hand-in-hand... :)

also thinking more along the lines of the newbies, they need to be grounded in what historic Christianity b4 'rethinking' happens...
jedibaba said…
Newbies? Yes, for those already within the fold we should deepen their roots by showing them the historical and logical bases of our faith.
For those outside the fold, well one size doesn't fit all. We need to tailor our approach to a given audience, something Paul was already doing way back in the book of Acts.
Dave said…
I just got off from Yahoo Messenger with a long-lost fren, who is now studying double Masters in theology overseas.

Am reminded how important it is for 'giving a reason for our hope' with 'gentleness and humility', as Peter put it.

This fren of mine says "Jesus says the world will know me when they see your love, not how well you argue"... he's advocating dialogue as mutual understanding, in opposition to apologetics :D

There's a profound truth in there, yet I think we should not put asunder what God has joined together. Someone once said that The early church not only out-loved their enemies, they out-thought them too :)

http://www.str.org/free/studies/cultural.htm