How Intelligent Is Our Design?

Benjamin posted his thots on the exciting New York Times debate on whether Intelligent Design should be taught in classrooms alongside evolution...

You know me lar, I've been waiting for this moment 4-5 years now... Ever since I came across the lawyer Philip Johnson took on the scientific orthodoxy for teaching the hypothesis as if it's a proven fact. I luv biology, but I hate obscure scientific terms.

But Johnson used his legal training to expose the fallacies of "there-is-nothing-but-the-universe" philosophy dressing up in scientific garb, in pretty plain language.

"Darwin on trial" and "Defeating Darwinism by opening minds" are superb. Michael Behe's "Darwin's Black Box" was recommended by Living lee, it's divided into sections for the scientifically-inclined, which can be conveniently bypassed by those similarly disinclined. OK-la, Case for Creator is so cheap (RM19) it's worth a shot too!




Btw, The AGORA (Leon Keith Jackson) will present a workshop on "God and Science" on Sept 18 (Sunday), City Discipleship Presbyterian Church at 1.45 pm.

Believe me, the Intelligent Design debate won't be easily dismissed as 'god-of-the-gaps'. It's not as if we dunno how things work, so we appeal to a god. Rather, it's the positive, (relatively recent but substantial) discovery of evidences that provides the momentum for the movement -from conservatives and liberals - against the Darwinist illusionary consensus.

Comments

Leon Jackson said…
Wow, I got mentioned in possibly the most popular thinkers blog of our locality and time! Anyway, seriously, I am really not going to touch so much on evolution and all the modern debates – but I am going to attempt to deal with the root of the issue, how do we as Christians live in a super scientific world and hold to our theological and metaphysical claims? Do we live with a sort of Kantian dichotomy – or do we ignore Science like the fundamentalist? I am really going to lay a foundation (By God’s grace) where we are forced to do our hard work from there on, determining theological non negotiables from evolving scientific knowledge. (I gave myself away abit, didn’t I?)
Anonymous said…
"4 Views on Science & Christianity" is another good resource for further info as is "Mere Creation".

All the best, Leon :)
Leon Jackson said…
Hey, thanks Alwyn.
Anonymous said…
Heya... You dropped by my blog the other day. Just wanna say thanx for posting.

God bless.
Dave said…
Yup, all truth meets at the top... it's sad nowadays we gave up any hope of reaching the top, and be content with the 'functional' (what works)... sounds fun!

All are invited la...

Shucks, i was hoping to get some help prior to a chat with a Dawkins fan...

thanks Susanna, feel free to roam about