First Love

No thanks to Jerry, Grace discovered some 'skeletons' in my closet.

According to him, I was 'caught' on two occasions - strolling along Bintang Walk and queueing up for movie in IOI Mall. Each time with a different lady.

That aroused her interest to dig up my past. So tonight, I went back to memory lane and took another look at 'those faded pictures from my scrapbook'.

And I told her about my first love, "Janie".

We learnt piano from the same teacher in Ipoh while we were teens. She was from Ave Maria, Chinese-ed, Catholic (whoa! I can hear some sighs of relief)

The only time we got to meet was when exams drew near... All the students would come together for mock tests. I liked the way she laughed and carried herself with a certain flair. (mysteriously gives people heartache, wan...)

In those pre-email days, I wrote her handwritten letters... She would reply likewise during the next class. Very "mar farn"...

I would read the letter during toilet break. (ya, people do wonder what 'business' requires such a long stay!)

Other than that, we'd never meet...

One fine day, i wandered into a music store after school. Leon Lai's hit song was in the air...

"Yeong o dik mei moong, wun lei yat sai ching"
(Let my beautiful dream be changed for your lifetime of romance)

And I thought, "O Lord, how I wish to see her again!"

Then I looked up, and there she was... standing right in front of me in the blue pinafore.

If you believe in divine guidance, this is a 'bona fide' sign from heaven!
It was such touch-and-go encounters that kept me holding on till uni days...

I finally picked up the courage to ask her out for lunch at a restaurant called Nostalgia.

But being a newbie at the game, I ordered medium rare steak and complained about the blood...

"It's supposed to be like that" she said. Strike One.




Having just gotten my driving license, I made some funny detours, needless U-Turns and almost ran into her gates.

Strike Two. (Forget the 'good afternoon' peck)

It was quite an 'OK' outing despite those not-too-impressive performances.
Maybe she likes a 'sweet loser' after all...
Or maybe she secretly wished I'd never call again!

Whatever it is, we didn't make any progress after that...

On my part, I then realised that the mental picture in my mind was not the same as the real person. I had been in love with an illusion of my own making.

Lesson learnt: This sort of minimal-contact, long-duration infatuation could only be sustained by idealizing the past or nurtured by dreams of a future utopia.

And there were those BBGS-Brethren ladies in college beckoning... (To be continued?)

Comments

JerryWho said…
heh heh heh... women yearn for juicy stories like these, and the more you tell, the more they want to know. so, my modus operandi is to tell her, "NOOOO.... You're the first one... the others are just crushes... No big deal..."

And that will be your cue to exit the stage by commending on her new hairdo, beautiful skin etc, you are a smart cookie, you know what to do.

... told you to hang out more with us.

heh heh heh...
Anonymous said…
To Be Continued?
Ooooo .... goodie goodie... please do so... :)

Kinda fun to read your entries...
Dave said…
My modus operandi is to show her, "See? So many choices, but i choose you alone!! ehehehe..."
Anonymous said…
Interesting ....I married one (the BBGS-Brethren connection) so i would be very interested to read your next entry....
Dave said…
Wah... OK la, since I have processed the pain of that episode, will share more IF Grace gives the green light hahaah