Secret Garden

Our church will be doing a series of sermons on biblical teachings on redeemed sexuality :) A naughty friend called it 'sexy November'.

Last Sunday's sermon by Rev Wong on Song of Songs (ehem) made (even) me blush a bit.
But it's so important in today's perversions of sexuality, that the community of faith display what authentic gender roles look like.

Eager for some 'application', I had a theological discourse with Grace on the book and was surprised that she already knows about its 'chiastic structure'! Wow...

This is one of my favorite passages from chapter 4.

"You have stolen my heart, my sister, my bride;
you have stolen my heart
with one glance of your eyes,
with one jewel of your necklace.

How delightful is your love, my sister, my bride!
How much more pleasing is your love than wine,
and the fragrance of your perfume than any spice!

Your lips drop sweetness as the honeycomb, my bride;
milk and honey are under your tongue.
The fragrance of your garments is like that of Lebanon.

You are a garden locked up, my sister, my bride;
you are a spring enclosed, a sealed fountain.

Your plants are an orchard of pomegranates
with choice fruits,
with henna and nard,

nard and saffron,
calamus and cinnamon,
with every kind of incense tree,
with myrrh and aloes
and all the finest spices.

You are a garden fountain,
a well of flowing water
streaming down from Lebanon.


Awake, north wind,
and come, south wind!
Blow on my garden,
that its fragrance may spread abroad.
Let my lover come into his garden
and taste its choice fruits."

Comments