Secret Identity

Some people wonder why I chose the virtual alter ego "Dave Chang"... or why the need to stick to it now that my real name and photo is already open secret? (hidden somewhere in the archives)

Why not just 'come out of the closet'?

Well, 'Dave' came to being when I started to join online discussion groups. Since you never know what kind of people you meet, a nickname (or handle?) seems like a good idea.

Dave is for David, Chang is my surname in Mandarin la...

More importantly, it also reflects a very different persona when I write.

Those who meet 'Dave' before knowing me personally often react in bitter disappointment (like one gal in Kuching) or in total surprise (Irene Q) - a pleasant one, I hope! heheh...

Some people expect to see "an old, white-bearded fella?" Does that mean that my digital self-projection in the Matrix would like the 'Architect'...??

In some ways, Dave is more serious and 'cerebral'. He hunts 'heresies' for hobby, and left long posts all over the yahoogroup circuit.

He was known to have bit off more than he could chew on several occassions. Though some have commented that he mellowed down a bit, he could still pack a wallop.

Several things happened recently to 'force' a more integrated persona now that my colleagues and relatives got to know about this blog... hehehe...

But it still helps to have 'Dave' around...

When my 'views' or 'opinions' are torn apart, I could still stand back and say, "Hey, that's Dave getting bashed up! hahaha"... and that distance kinda prevented me from getting too 'personal' when it is my 'view' (not me) that is being evaluated and discussed.

So I guess Dave will be around the block for the foreseeable future.

Comments

Leon Jackson said…
Hahaha! Thats weird!
lycaphim said…
Hehe, well you seem to be more liberal than me in this area.

I have been (viciously?) hiding my *real* life from the online world. The closest thing you'll get too is my real name and maybe some bits of info on what's happening in my life.

O wait...that's about as much as you give to us on your blog :P
Edwin Tay said…
I like Dave. It rhymes with "suave" which is what I see in your posts and forums. This is a compliment bro! but whatever your identity is, thank God it's headed towards conformity with Christ.
Dave said…
Hi Folks!

Have been missing in action for a while, shifting house..

so not much time to don my cape and do the 'superhero' thingy at nite

Looks like 'villains' have appeared on the ST forum again. Sigh.

Thanks for ur comments, folks...

Hopefully, I'd become more like Dave in the real world and he would become more like me online as i grow older haha...
happiwife said…
You gave me a book when we first met in Singapore and I thought to myself, "this is so Dave Chang..."

That was in year 2002.
And as I get to know you better, I prefer to just call you David -which reflects yourself? (a combination of Dave Chang + that simple Ipoh guy formerly from HELP Institute)

And I can never understand why do you like Vivian Chow. Oh well, there are mysteries in life that we will never get to know on this side of heaven...
Dave said…
Aiyo... when i was in Form 5, the 5 heavenly kings were reigning supreme and remember when it was popular to carry photos of these HK stars around..?

u can put in some shilings into a machine and get ur fav photo of Aaron knok, andy lau etc.

For female category, Vivian Chow was the ultimate undisputable photo anyone can hope for... ya, she cant sing or act; but she's so.... cute, gentle, 'jade gal image' and diabolically well-endowed!

(wipe saliva)
Ennie said…
Haha. I was not given the pleasure of being at 'shock' when I first met you. My sister (the tea drinker)has already described you. So it's no suprise you are what you are (alter ego included, I guess) kind of like what I have been told.
Ignatius said…
from the clues:

"when i was in Form 5, the 5 heavenly kings were reigning supreme "...

"Vivian Chow was the ultimate undisputable photo anyone can hope for"...

hmm, so Dave, you are in your 30s??
happiwife said…
Hahahahahaha...
I see. That's one of the possible ways to accidentally reveal your age...

Anyway, I'm just curious. Was there ever any 5 heavenly kings? I thought there were only 4? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Dave said…
Bro, if 30s = 30 something, I'm NOT in my 30s yet. Honestly :)

According to some objective sources, I was the '5th element' - all 4 heavenly kings rolled into one..er...

ok, stop the gagging routine already... heheh...

NOW i know who's Ennie commenting at bohtea's blog!

Help me out here...

Should I interpret "kind of like what I have been told" as YOU kinda like wat you heard? ehem...

Or should I continue from the parenthesis i.e. I am similar to what u heard? hehe...

Hermeneutics, hermeneutics...
Anonymous said…
now I know where Jack learn to 'buaya' so much! lol ;)