Angel's Advocates


Alvin posted this powerful blog post - Who shall I serve?

The scope of a Christian lawyer is astounding, to say the least. I think humbly, Christian lawyers - those who are convicted enough - in this country need to approach the issue of Pro Bono or Pro Deo, both in how they act as advocate and solicitors, and especially if they want to serve as full-time Christian lawyers for the church. What if the church funds such a programme of rendering legal aid from a Christian perspective? As I see it, at the starting stage, we need only a few lawyers to answer the call. It would be a small “firm” of three lawyers initially. Any takers?

Would anyone answer such a calling? It’s a radical approach for lawyers in this country to take - even Christian lawyers. Imagine lawyers taking cases for a full-time missional role!

The need for full-time Christian lawyers is an area that is neglected. Who shall I serve? And those interests, opportunities and talents God has given me, how do I best use it?

So, while searching on the Web, I came upon this organisation, Christian Legal Society. I thank God for such pioneers for I am not an embryonic thinker. And the theological arguments are there (for those of us that need the theological affirmation and push) But in the end, I pray that we in Malaysia can have such an organisation and a network of Christian lawyers working with and in the church and to train and influence future law students - like me! - to realise Proverbs 31:9, Psalms 82:4 and Jeremiah 22:16. ..

I do not know if I’m bold enough to approach church leaders in this country with such a vision (imagine, church paying salary and offices for lawyers to practise law! I need to know God will support such a radical thing, let alone God with a sense of humour!), so I need prayers.

Comments