Some Favorite Gifts


Today, a very kind and anonymous soul has given me, along with some other seminary students, a generous gift - a copy of the New Testament in Greek. It must have cost a bomb. And though I can't thank him personally, I trust that the Lord knows deeds done in secret and will bless his or her generosity richly.

It reminded me of a couple of other book gifts which meant a lot to me in the past.

The Methodist Sunday School mentors/partners who gave me the first 'serious' theological book on "Kingdom of Cults" by Walter Martin. That was how I cut my teeth as a 'heresy hunter'.

Jacob, Martin and Rodney of Evangel gave me the first one-volume New Bible Commentary on the OT and NT after I completed a short stint in the bookstore. It was a turning point in my spiritual walk.

The HELP Institute Christian Fellowship brothers n sisters who gave me a birthday gift of a Strong's Concordance. These are precious tools, and though I didn't use them as often as I'd like, hehehe... I guess, it's the heart behind the gifts that really blessed and encouraged me!

Yup, if I ever publish a tract, you folks will be mentioned in the dedication page.

Comments

BK said…
=D
Dave said…
My birthday is around the corner... hint, hint... Still got space in the dedication page haha
BK said…
why don't you show us your BatCave by putting it on LibraryThing? BatCave should be more high-tech, in tune with the 21st century mah. Would be useful to many people too I'm sure.

I'd give you a lifetime membership if I had money! :-p I know I plan to get one for myself at some point...
Dave said…
hey bro! Thanks for the link... Will explore it and see if i can upgrade the batcave haha...

I'm having trouble even 'categorising' posts by topics as it is... must hire someone to do this heheh :D
Anonymous said…
awaiting your review of "5 Views of Apologetics" (grin)...and yes that librarything *is* kinda cool...i've dumped in some Wright books already, ;>)
Dave said…
One of our RZIM frens called it a massive exercise in scholasticism. hehe... but I found interesting thots everywhere in that book, and seeing how each view works out in response to postmodernism is interesting as well (a lot of similarities in terms of the practical pay offs despite diff methodologies)