Sovereign Grace

Today I visited a Sovereign Grace church near my hotel... The map was not too helpful, and as I was on the verge of giving up after being lost for 20 mins, the Washburn Elementary School premise where the worship was held 'appeared' right in front of me! (Thank God for the providence!)

I've grown to love Sovereign Grace even though there isn't one in Malaysia for these reasons:

1) The emphasis on church planting - healthy churches are probably the most socially revolutionary forces on earth

2) The vibrant combination of sound theological lyrics with lively contemporary music as exemplified by the works of Bob Kauflin and Mark Altrogge etc. (CDs available at Canaanland only, if not mistaken)

3) The exercise of spiritual gifts (charismata) in congregational life with a robust reformed doctrines - a strange animal this one!!

Malaysians who never heard of Sovereign Grace may nonetheless have heard of Josh Harris (I kissed dating goodbye, Boy meets girls); CJ Mahaney (Cross Centered life) or PDI Music (nope, not the clothing brand!)

The church is about 100-strong, and being relatively smaller in size, much more personal and friendlier. Having been to the bigger ones with high-profile speakers, I realise that these 'mega churches' (against their wills) can be personality-driven. Many come just to be 'spectators' & dun feel compelled to belong and serve.

Here, it feels more like a family/community of service.

Pastor Rick Gamache preached a stirring sermon on Servanthood based on the text on Jesus foot-washing his disciples. (In John's narrative of the last few hours of Jesus' life, we find the symbol of redemption and the model of service wat Jesus did with the basin and towel... taking off the outer garment akin to His 'kenosis')

A few things stuck - Jesus is our Savior before He is our Example. A man drowning in the sea may learn how to swim later but his immediate need is a lifeguard! (James Boice paraphrased)

Our evangelistic strategy - "Serve Your Neighbor". Demonstrate the gospel before declaring it. Keep the tracts first, and listen. (people gotta pay psychiatists to talk to)

We were bought with a price, we belong to our Master and no longer our own... yet the apostles glory in the fact that they are God's slaves, His treasured possession. Good to be reminded of God's absolute and exclusive claim over our lives.

We had a chat after service. Rick was the predecessor of Justin taylor at Desiring God ministry years ago. Also, met Matthew, a seminary student at Bethel and had some wonderful conversations. As a newcomer, I got a music CD sampler and book "Cross Centered Life"...

Comments

Glad you liked it. Thanks for visiting - who knows, perhaps one day they will plant a church in Malaysia. The website of Covenant Life Church is the "flagship" church (Josh Harris is senior pastor) is worth checking out. They have MP3 messaged posted. I think the link is www.covlife.org

The church I attend is in www.sovgracefairfax.org - there are MP3 sermons online as well.

If you have time to stop by the Washington DC area, please let me know.
Dave said…
Andre, guess wat? I asked Rick to let me know if they ever plan to church plan back home :)

Washington DC... OK, Thanks for the offer. Now I know I'd have a place to stay if I ever end up in Washington, Chicago and Florida!

And do let me know if ur back in Msia for Chinese New Year ok?
Meng said…
Hi;
Thanks for visiting my blog. Andre is my (French) brother. Don't ask me why a Malaysian has a name like Andre. Glad you enjoyed the SOvereign Grace Church. My family and I have been part of a House Church in the Klang Valley for the last 12 years. After returning from a month long holiday with my brother and enjoying the worship and pulpit ministry at his church we decided to move to CDPC in December. (It has been something we have been praying about for the last year or so)
Pas Wong and his team has been most gracious in helping us all assimilate into the community. 6 families in all have now moved into CDPC. Look fwd to meeting u when u return.
Dave said…
Meng, welcome to CDPC and yes, Rev Wong always have a heart for spiritual formation in community...

I'm happy to know you and others have found here good expository preaching and an embracing atmosphere.. I do miss 'home' now haha... Look forward to see you!

(Which service u go to - Sunday morning or Sat evening?

btw I know a few Malaysian Andres too!
Frank Martens said…
I have ot say... this is increasingling interesting for me to read about someone coming over here to visit the states to see DGM and SG... As one who has traveled around a bit (within the US) to visit churches, I can understand how rewarding it is. So I hope the stay was rewarding for you!

Hopefully you can come back again, if you do, try to look me up, I'd be very interested in meeting!